Monday, 4 January 2010

Production

Now i know what magazine to creates I was able to draft the front cover, contents page and double page spread of ECLECTIC.



























I've decided to go with a basic colour scheme throughout the magazine of turquoise, grey, black and white. I chose these colours because they can appeal to both males and females and none of the colours clash with eachother, showing no certain taste.
I've used ECLECTIC as the masthead as the largest piece of text on the page and then the text gets smaller the more unimportant it is. I've tried to include a variety of genres of music in the articles. The main article is an ex pop singer from a boyband who is now a jazz/swing artist which highlight the broad audience.
I've put the price as a bigger piece of text as its a new magazine and companies would do this so people are more likely to pick up the magazine. Also because it is a new magazine i've included an 'editor's piece' which is in a lot of magazines but used here for the editor to introduce the magazine. On the cover I have used a mid-shot of a solo artist as the main attraction showing it to be the biggest article. Then two images on the left-hand side of the page of a other artists to show them to be less important but still big articles in the magazine. On the contents page i've tried to show the hierarchy of articles by putting the images into polaroids and ordering them so that the most important article is the largest and easier to see. For the double page spread I am going to use a question and answer interview even though none of the magazines that i have analysed have articles in that form.


I've taken some photos to choose from when i create my magazine.


For the cover and contents page







For the double page spread







After I'd selected the pictures that i wanted to use for my magazine i could start to put together my magazine cover using photoshop and Adobe Indesign. On both softwares you have layers and separate items on your page into different layers.



Inserting an image is the same in both photoshop and Indesign and is very simple. I selected file and scrolled down to place, then my files came up and I can chose the image I wanted. When I picked the image that I wanted, I edited the picture by resizing it to exactly how I wanted it. I used an option called magic wand, this selects colours in a background which I dont want and deletes them so I only had the person left. I found resizing an image to be very fiddely in Adobe Indesign as the images have to fit to a frame and it was hard to get it exactly how i wanted it.





To add an effect to text in photoshop I highlighted the words I wanted to edit and then clicked on the layer that it is on. This box comes where I can tick the effect that I want to use on the left hand side. An example here is drop shadow which makes the word look like its casting a shadow. Other effects I used include gradient where I had two or three different colours in a word or bevel and emboss where one option is that I made the word look as if it stands out more. There are more effects and this is similar to the way that I did it on Adobe indesign, however I selected the word icon and chose an effect on there like i used drop shadow on my contents page, Although sometimes it would allow me to used effects on the words i wanted in Adobe Indesign.






Rather than copying a barcode from another magazine i created my own in photoshop and placed it onto to my magazine as an image. To create a barcode I went into filter and selected noise then add noise, i then changed the amount to 400% and selected gaussian and monocromatic.






After that i went back into filter and selected motion blur and changed the angle to 90 degrees and distance to 999.





Finally i went into filter again and unsharpen mask where i played around with the settings so that i had it to look as similar to a barcode as possible. I then saved it and went back to my magazine on photoshop where i clicked file then place found the barcode to add it to my magazine and cropped it, putting it in the bottom right corner.









Alike Photoshop, Adobe indesign is put into layers. However, instead of each item being in seperate layer they are organised so that you have them in layers such as text, images, background and decoration like i have. I found this easier to use because you could find everything much better.





For example here all of my text is together and it can all be edited at the same time, without anything else gettin in the way or being deleted by accident.






When changing the colour of text or objects I clicked onto the colour icon and had to try and find it on the colour picker which was hard to find the right colours sometimes. There are numbers that i entered under red, green or blue so get the right combination of colours and sometimes it was impossible to find the colours i needed against my grey background.

This is the final result of my music magazine






No comments:

Post a Comment